Practical Laboratory Skills
Having the knowledge and confidence to work safely in the laboratory is an essential skill for all staff working in laboratories. This course will cover basic theoretical and practical laboratory skills including preparing COSHH risk assessments, good laboratory practice, use of fume hoods/biosafety cabinets, centrifuges and other laboratory equipment, pipetting skills, using balances and preparing reagents and solutions.
Who is this for?
- Research Staff
- Technical Staff and students new to the laboratory environment
- Experienced personnel looking to refresh their skills
After the course you will be able to:
- Prepare and understand the purpose of Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) risk assessment (RA) forms
- Understand the importance of good laboratory practice, including choosing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and maintaining accurate laboratory records
- Correctly use fume hoods, biosafety cabinets, centrifuges and other general laboratory equipment
- Choose the correct pipette for your task and perform common techniques
- Set up and use balances correctly
- Prepare reagents and solutions
- Adjust the pH of solutions